General insurance refers to other forms of coverage other than life insurance. Examples include insurance of property against fire, burglary etc, personal insurance such as Accident and Health Insurance, and liability insurance which covers legal liabilities. It also includes professional indemnity insurance for professionals. By paying the premium under this policy, the insured can get reimbursement for any loss that may occur.
Not all general insurance is necessary under law. The following are the common types:
1. Home Insurance coverage provides protection to home and property from loss caused by theft, fire, earthquake, flood, or other disaster.
3. Renters Insurance coverage provides protection to tenants for loss caused to property owned by tenants and stored in rented property.
3. Medical Insurance is, basically, a promise by an insurance company to provide or pay for medical expenses in exchange for payment of premiums.
4. Auto Insurance provides protection against claim for bodily injury or damage caused by the operation of a vehicle. Operating a vehicle without auto insurance is a violation of the law.
5. Travel Insurance is insurance against contingencies during travel.
6. Professional indemnity insurance provides protection to professionals from claims of professional negligence. Some states require professional indemnity insurance for certain professions.
Most general insurance policies offer standard coverage. Customized coverage may also be available with an insurance company. Some form of coverage is necessary for every family. It is a must for all in today’s world.
And, for these policy types, you’d save a bundle if you do thorough comparison shopping. Get and compare quotes from a wide range of insurance companies. This simple and free exercise will save you hundreds, if not thousands, in premium dollars.